Dyota - About Me
Hello, thank you for finding me!
If you like to find out more about me and my personal story, continue reading below.
I have currently followed an advanched teacher training for the 8 week MINDFULNESS FOR LIFE program. And i am very excited to bring my new insights and experiences into the 8 week training that I offer. It will even be more adaptable for life, supporting you to navigate through challenging and difficult times and finding joy and peace in the moment. I believe this program will help you cultivate the capacity to be more flexible and recover more quickly when going through challenging interpersonal situations. Read more here.
My Journey so far:
Growing up in the Netherlands on an agricultural and tulip flower farm, I (Elisabeth 1977) received my bachelor in Communication (Windesheim University, Zwolle) and after that worked in an advertising agency for two years.
It didn’t take long for me to feel that the ‘Monday to Friday’, ‘9 to 5’, commercial orientated work field was not my place.
I signed up for the ‘adventurous’ job as a flight attendant for KLM, Royal Dutch Airlines at 23 years old. Not knowing that my ‘1 year in between’ idea of a job adventure, would turn out to be a 13-year journey all over the world and within myself.
The numerous encounters with passengers and always changing crews, and facing the many cultural and communication differences on board and on route, have given me many opportunities to practice my patience, flexibility, empathy and communication skills. The many travels from beautiful bounty islands, to deprived slums and families living on dumpsters, has widened and shaped my world view.
The irregular ‘free’ lifestyle of my job gave me many opportunities to grow and learn into the field of my true interests. From working for our airline crew NGO Wings of Support (www.wingsofsupport.org), to following numerous courses and training's in reiki, yoga, thai-massage, sport massage, natural therapies, languages, retreats, meditation and mindfulness.
My first meditation experience was in my mid twenties, which immediately connected deeply with me. A few years later I attended my first 10 day silent retreat. Although the years after it was an irregular practice in my life, a seed had been planted. It wasn’t until 2011, when this seed began to flower when I signed up for the 8 week MBSR training, to help me deal differently with my pains from a herniated disc in my back.
I felt an immediate urge to train myself into sharing this easy accessible, down to earth knowledge of how to deal and be with (difficulties in) life. I picked up on the teachers program while recovering from surgery, soon after promoted to Purser/Inflight Manager with KLM, shifted to working part-time,(to be able to start sharing Mindfulness and the 8 week MBSR), and moved to a beautiful place in the South-West of Portugal.
As my personal life changed after meeting my partner in Portugal and welcoming our beautiful daughter (2015), I decided to extend my parent leave with KLM to the maximum possible. It took me 3 years of absence to officially resign from my job with KLM. Looking back with enormous gratitude for those 13 years of flying, which have shaped my life and being to the present moment; Living a beautiful, simple & basic lifestyle in nature with my little family and sharing the practice of Mindfulness
The last 6 years in Portugal I have focused my time on finding possibilities to share the 8 week MBSR and Mindfulness. and at the same time I work together with Shaini Verdon / Yogaion in offering Yoga and Surf retreats. The other main and most important focus is having the possibility to fully connect to motherhood, practicing conscious parenting and providing a loving home base for my little daughter.
I have offered the 8 week Mindfulness training at different locations, Moagem (Aljezur), Kultivarte (Barao de Sao Joao), Dawn Collective Shala (Vale da Telha) and Portas do Sol (Portimão).
Besides extending the 8 week Mindfulness training to new locations, I am also intending to extend my wings into another field of practice. This other field will be the work of a Doula, birth supporter, birth coach.
My positive home birth experience in Portugal with a midwife and Doula is one of the inspirations of me moving into that direction. I will keep you updated on my new adventures.
I really hope that one day our lives cross, and that you not only will receive ‘the sunshine, light & brilliance’ from the Portugese life, but more so from the practice of being mindful and living in the present moment.
Gratitude to all of you who have joined me on one of my workshops or the 8 week mindfulness training.
You all contribute to my learning, growth and being!
Dyota is Sanskrit for Sunshine, Light & Brilliance
Following is an overview of the teacher trainings I have followed so far.
I am a Certified Mindfulness Trainer by See True Mindfulness Institute in the Netherlands since 2012
* Aug. 2020 - Mindfulness for Life - 2 day teacher training, (MBCT-L, Online Summerschool, Oxford Mindfulness Centre, UK)
* Jan – Oct 2020 Doula Training - Curso de Formação de Doulas by Materlua, Sintra, Portugal with Carla Silveira, Rita Leite Prudente, Patricia Lemos, Raquel Cajão, e.d.)
* 2020 - Participant in online webinars offered by See True Mindfuleness: ´Intention Matters´ with Juliet Adams,´Internalizing your practice´ with Miles Kessler, Family and the Practice of Mindfulness´ with Kate Munding,´Working on Difficulties´ with Trish Bartley.
* 2019 - Participant of monthly SITT Portugal group meetings since 2019 (Supporting Integrity in Teaching and Training mindfulness, inMindsight, Algarve)
* 2018 - 7 week Online training Power of Awareness by Tara Brach & Jack Kornfield, by Sounds True, supported by Greater Good Science Center, University of Berkeley, California, USA
* 2018 - Supervision by qualified See True Mindfulness supervisor during 8-week training
* 2017 - Mindfulness Advanced Teacher Training, 2 day Inquiry Intensive (See True Mindfulness, Rob Vincken, Maastricht, Netherlands)
* 2017 - Mindfulness For Children & Adolescence, A Still Quiet Place with Dr. Amy Saltzman, USA.
(Sociedade Portuguesa de meditacão e bem-ester, Barcelos, Portugal, www.spm-be.pt)
* 2017 - Mindfulness Advanced Teacher Training (See True Mindfulness, David Dewulf (Belgium), Maastricht, Netherlands, www.aandacht.be)
* 2016 - Mindfulness Advanced Teacher Training (See True Mindfulness, Trish Bartley (UK), Maastricht, Netherlands, www.trishbartley.co.uk)
* 2014 - Mindfulness & PregnancyTeacher Training (See True Mindfulness, Sanne Claas, Amsterdam, Netherlands)
* 2012 - Acceptance & Commitment Therapy Teacher Training, (ACT, See True Mindfulness, Gijs Jansen, Amsterdam, Netherlands)
* 2011 - Mindfulness Basic Teacher Training MBCT/MBSR, (See True Mindfulness, Rob Vincken, Amsterdam, Netherlands)
* 2011 - MBSR participant Training, (See True Mindfulness, Caroline van Haperen, Amsterdam, Netherlands)
One of the basic needs and commitments of a Mindfulness Trainer is his or her own daily practice. To deepen my personal practice I try to visit a (silent) retreat as often as possible. I have attended the following so far:
2005 - 10 day Vipassana Silent Retreat - Netherlands - (www.internationalmeditationcentre.org)
2011 - 10 day Vipassana Silent Retreat - UK - (www.internationalmeditationcentre.org)
2012 - 6 day Mindfulness Retreat - Thich Nhat Hanh - EIAB, Germany - (www.plumvillage.org)
2014 - 6 day Mindfulness Retreat - Thich Nhat Hanh - EIAB, Germany
2016 - 3 day Silent Retreat - Netherlands (www.simsara.nl)
2017 - 6 day Mindfulness Retreat - Thcih Nhat Hanh - EIAB, Germany
2018 - 10 day Vipassana Silent Retreat - UK - (www.internationalmeditationcentre.org)
2019 - 3 day Embodiment Retreat by Jana Krohn, Ocean and Yoga, Algarve, Portugal
I will continue to learn, grow and share and look forward to meet you somewhere on this planet!
Breathe & Smile,
Dyota is Sanskrit for
Light, Brilliance & Sunshine